Deadline: 31 March 2023
The UNCTAD Division of Investment and Enterprise (DIAE) and the Academy of International Business (AIB) have jointly established an award for the best young academic research work on international investment and development. The award is intended for PhD students or early career researchers with no more than five years
of full-time work experience.
UNCTAD and AIB invite contributions that provide state-of-the-art knowledge and understanding of the activities conducted by, and the development impact of, multinational enterprises and other international investors, con-
sidering economic, institutional, social, environmental or cultural aspects. Contributions should draw clear policy conclusions from the research findings.
I. Paper Criteria
Reflecting the core value propositions of UNCTAD’s research mandate, the winning papers should meet the following criteria:
- Original and innovative research;
- Topical issues with a discussion of policy implications;
- Focus on development (i.e., how to ensure that international investment and multinational enterprises con-tribute to sustainable development).
- The paper must not have been previously published. Co-authorship is permitted provided all authors meet the stated conditions.
Submissions must include:
- Paper not exceeding 12,000 words (inclusive of appendices, references, and all material); and must follow the Transnational Corporations guidelines;
- Author(s)’s CV and;
- Abstract (not longer than 300 words)
Submissions must be sent to: [email protected] before the deadline
III. Selection Process
- The submitted papers will be evaluated by a Review Panel including DIAE leaders and experts, as well as eminent external scholars, including members of AIB.
- The Award, granted on an annual basis, will be presented during a Special Session that will take place during the AIB 2023 Annual Conference scheduled from 5-9 July 2023 in Warsaw.
- Finalists will be required to present their work during this Special Session, and the winner will be announced at the end of the session.
- Finalists must agree to register and present their work in person at the conference.
IV. Award Package
- A certificate will be presented to the winner at the AIB conference in July 2023.
- Invitation to apply for a three-month consultancy contract at UNCTAD’s Division of Investment and Enter- prise for work during a term that is mutually agreed between UNCTAD and the Award winner (in the case
of a co-authored paper, the authors will determine who will benefit from the consultancy package). The contract will be issued in line with United Nations rules and regulations
- Invitation to publish the winning paper in the peer reviewed UNCTAD journal Transnational Corporations, subject to the standard procedures of the Journal.