Deadline: open until filled
CIMMYT is seeking a dynamic and self-motivated Senior scientist to lead, coordinate and implement the research portfolio of the Sustainable Agrifood Systems programs in Central and West Asia and North Africa (CWANA) region. The position offers a career opportunity for a researcher interested in the research and use of sustainable farming systems intensification and new tools and techniques of agronomic management practices towards resilient agrifood systems and climate change adaptation and mitigation.
The successful candidate, together with partners, will implement the CIMMYT’s research portfolio under One-CGIAR Regional Integrated Initiative (CWANA) and contribute to other related global initiatives as well as co-develop and execute other bilateral projects on Sustainable Agrifood Systems thematic areas to impact continuum in dryland and irrigated systems of selected countries in CWANA. The candidate position to be based in Morocco or Egypt.
The position is for an initial fixed-term for three (3) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual home travel airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
I. Specific duties
- Lead, co-design, coordinate and execute the research programs in collaboration with one CGIAR initiatives partners.
- Provide strategic leadership for develop/contribute to state of natural resources and determinants of yield gaps in CWANA’s diverse production systems and agro-ecologies
- Define needs and act on opportunities for fostering sustainable, resilient and profitable farm management technologies for sustainably bridging the yield gaps in partnership with the public and private sector.
- Facilitate fine-tuning of key new technologies and crop management practices through adaptive research: including agronomic management, scale-appropriate machinery, and integrated crop-livestock management practices in collaboration with farmers, civil societies, agricultural entrepreneurs and the public and private sector.
- Coordinate participatory trials on resilient and sustainable resource conserving crops and cropping systems management, appropriate agricultural machinery, and livestock-integrated farming systems in both dryland and irrigated systems.
- Work closely with public and private sector partners to develop innovative approaches to extend and scale-out access to new technologies and management practices.
- Provide technical backstopping to public and private collaborators to develop efficient and dynamic research and development programs.
- Work closely with an interdisciplinary team of social scientists, agronomists, data scientists, remote sensing specialists, crop/farming system modelers and soil scientists to advance the Sustainable Agrifood Systems mission in CWANA.
- Provide strategic leadership in the design and implementation of capacity building strategies with an emphasis on developing appropriate training content, materials and developing decision support tools for different stakeholder groups.
- Contribute to the development of innovation alliances with a diverse set of public and private sector partners, including advanced research institutions.
- Summarize and communicate project activities and outcome results to various audiences, while contributing to annual and semi-annual reports.
- Help develop new initiatives and research in the region and elsewhere as needed by the Sustainable Agrifood Systems (SAS) and other CIMMYT/CGIAR programs.
- Support regional efforts to mobilize research resources in partnership with funding institutions.Properly maintain and archive agricultural and field data records, and maintain data archiving and back-up systems.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed publications.
- Ph.D. in an agriculture related field (agronomy, agroecology, soil science, or similar field)
- Demonstrated international research and field extension experience.
- Experience in the linkages between agricultural productivity, human nutrition, and/or livestock production and health are advantageous.
- Demonstrated practical experience training farmers and stakeholders on the principles of agronomy/agricultural management, conservation agriculture with additional understanding of agricultural machineries, (planting to post harvest).
- Demonstrated experience in the implementation and management of farmer-participatory agricultural field trials, surveys, or decision experiments, preferably in on-farm (non-research station) and farmer-led research settings, with particular emphasis on crop management in cereal-based cropping systems, agricultural machinery, and/or efficient water management, salinity management, G x E x M in both irrigated and dryland agriculture.
- Prior experience in developing public-private partnerships is an advantage.
- Good communication skills for farmers, agricultural service providers, extension and outreach professionals, and private sector partners.
- Competence with common computer software packages for communications, data management, and statistical analysis.
- A modest level of modelling and geospatial skills
- Track record of publications in high-level peer reviewed journals.
- Demonstrated ability to excel in complex multidisciplinary research or development projects.
- Ability to work with different nationalities and disciplines as a member of a diverse work team.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Proactivity, Problem Solving and Decision-making, Negotiation, Conflict Resolution, and Teamwork.
III. Application Process
- To Apply Please Click HERE
- Screening and follow up of applications will begin on Tuesday, 14th March, 2023.
- Applications must include a CV, with contact details (telephone and email address) of 3 work-related references along with the confirmation that we can contact them) and a cover letter. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration.
- For further information on the selection process, please contact Yessica Castillo, at [email protected]
- Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- This position will remain open until filled.
- CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.
IV. About CIMMYT
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to CIMMYT’s website for more information