Deadline: 31 August 2022
The International Network for Bamboo and Rattan (INBAR) 2022 Photography Competition is looking for photographs that reflect bamboo and rattan’s uses for sustainable development, particularly INBAR’s key focus areas.This year is special as INBAR will be celebrating its 25th anniversary and the second Bamboo and Rattan Congress (BARC 2022).
INBAR is looking to showcase how bamboo and rattan are an important part of sustainable development and everyday livelihoods. Consequently, INBAR is calling all bamboo and rattan enthusiasts, architects, artisans, photographers, among others to showcase these natural materials wonders.
Bamboo, the fast-growing grass plant, and rattan, the spiky climbing palm, can be important nature-based solutions to a number of pressing global challenges, for poverty alleviation, green trade, climate change mitigation and adaptation, resilient construction and environmental protection.
- This competition is open to everyone regardless of nationality.
- Participants must be 12 years old or older. Participants under 18 must have a legal representative and submit the legal representative form.
- Each participant can enter once but can submit up to 3 photos.
- Submissions must be received by 31 August 2022 at 23:59 GMT+8. Submissions will not be accepted once the deadline lapses.
II. Photo Requirements
- Photographs must be submitted in jpg/jpeg format. They must be at least 2,000 pixels on the wide side and at least 150 dpi (higher is recommended).
- Photographs cannot be edited or altered in any way, including but not limited to removing, adding, reversing, or distorting subjects within the frame.
- The photograph must be original work from the participant. The participant is responsible that the photograph does not infringe upon the trademark, copyright, moral rights, intellectual rights, or rights of privacy of any entity or person.
III. Evaluation criteria
- Photographs that elevate the use of bamboo and rattan, especially in relation to INBAR’s key focus areas and the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Photograph composition
- Photograph quality
First place: the best of bamboo (one place) USD 600
First place: the best of rattan (one place) USD 600
Second place (two places) USD 400 each
Third Place (three places) USD 200 each
- The winning photos will be exhibited at BARC 2022 and all winners will also receive a digital winning certificate.
- The winners will receive the prize via bank transfer, INBAR will bear the cost of the sending fee, but the participants are responsible for any receiving fees imposed by their banks and tax.
- INBAR holds the right to declare the prize vacant if the submissions don’t align with the evaluation criteria. All decisions are final.
- The winners will be notified via email and the winning photographs will be published on our website on 30 September 2022.
V. Judging committee
A panel made of three professional photographers and INBAR’s team.
- The participant will retain the rights to their photographs, however, by joining the competition, the participant grants INBAR permission to publish the participant’s photographs in any digital and printed publication in any media format to promote the use of bamboo and rattan for sustainable development.
- Participants under 18 years old need to submit the Parental Consent Form.
- INBAR will always credit the photographer using their name when using the photograph.
- The prize must be collected by the winner or legal representative and is nontransferable.
II. How to participate
- Participants should submit the photograph and its description in the ‘INBAR Photography Competition 2022’ online form before the deadline.
- Each photograph should be saved with the name of the photographer and title of the photograph, i.e., ‘Name_Title of the Photo’ when submitted to the online form.
- INBAR is eagerly looking forward to your submission and your help to promote bamboo and rattan for sustainable development!