Deadline: 09 June 2023
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT) is looking for an outstanding, self-motivated, and result-oriented professional for a post-doctoral or associate scientist position on Digital Agriculture Specialist- Farmer Decision Support, to work in the Southern African region.
This role is centered on digital innovations in agriculture with a keen focus on soil health and predictive agronomy. Emphasis is on providing advisory services to smallholder farmers that enhance visible yield increases, support crop health, and encourages sustainable agriculture resource utilization. The successful candidate will be mandated to interpret, translate, and simplify scientific research finding into relevant content for smallholder farmers and extension workers. The Digital agriculture specialist shall be further responsible for developing an integrated e-extension and digital advisory strategy for which specific value chains will be targeted. The role also entails developing digital capacities of smallholder farmers, extensionists, and key stakeholders within the various value chain/food systems being served. The position will be based at CIMMYT-Zambia or the Southern Africa Regional Office.
The position is for an initial fixed-term for three (3) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual home travel airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
II. Specific duties:
- Scoping the digital agriculture-to-extension ecosystem within defined contexts and making recommendations for strategic partnerships in content dissemination and service provision.
- Develop content targeted for smallholder farmers and extension agents using digital tools.
- Designing digital agriculture products and services targeting smallholder farmers and extension.
- Engaging government and development partners for scale-up pathways for high-potential digital innovations.
- Facilitating human-centric design activities focused on digital farmer services with key stakeholders.
- Establishing partnerships with digital agriculture platforms or solution proprietors for content hosting and services promotion.
- Conducting farmer needs assessment and designing effective response mechanisms.
- Supporting partners in developing sustainable business models that ensure that information and services availed to farmers remain available to post the project implementation.
- Conduct project pilots and impact evaluations of content dissemination and services provision activities.
- Document project activity reports and critical lessons learned.
- Supporting the project lead and developing concept notes and proposals relating to similar activities.
- Relevant undergraduate or graduate level qualifications in computing applications in agriculture
- with clear work experience linked to developing successful farmer-centered and scalable digital agriculture tools.
- Experience in international agriculture development.
- Experience working on digital farmer services.
- Private sector experience in agronomy and soil health services is an added advantage.
- Proven record of working in Southern African food systems.
- Experience in project management or a related role focusing on agile solutions.
- Knowledgeability of soil science and agronomy
- Expertise in digital product management with an agricultural focus
- Human-centric design capabilities in mobile application technology.
- Evidence of policy support and high-level government engagement in Digital agriculture
- Experience in private, public, and non-profit extension and advisory service provision.
- Proven private sector engagement skills.
- Project management and donor relations expertise.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- The selected candidate should exhibit the following competencies: Client Orientation, Negotiation, Conflict Resolution, Problem Solving, Decision Making, Teamwork, and Communication.
IV. How To Apply?
- To apply , Please click HERE
- Applications must include a CV and a cover letter. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration.
- Screening and follow-up of applications will begin on Friday, June 9th, 2023.
- CIMMYT does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, age, national origin, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other reason prohibited by law in provision of employment opportunities and benefits.
v. About CIMMYT
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a non-profit organization that specializes in agriculture research for development with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to CIMMYT website for more information