Deadline: 29 March 2023
The ICARDA Genebank is looking for a postdoctoral follow in the area of genomics. ICARDA Genebank holds in trust a diverse collection of legumes and cereals and their wild relatives. The successful candidate will be responsible for collecting and analyzing genomics information on Genebank accessions to understand the useful diversity held at the Genebank and promoting its use in breeding and science.
Location: Rabat, Morocco or Terbol, Lebanon
Reports to: Research Team Leader - Genetic Resources, conservation, characterization, and use (GRS)
I. Main responsibilities
- Analyze GRS, whole genome sequencing and genomic information of Genebank accessions.
- Define a strategy for genomics work at ICARDA Genebank.
- Accountable for curating and sharing genomic information in databases and with users.
- Collaborate with breeding programs on allele mining and trait discovery.
- Undertake population genetics and landscape genetic analysis.
- Mapping traits using genomic selection and genome-wide association studies (GWAS) models in Genebank accessions.
- Contribute to develop capacity at ICARDA and NARS scientists on plant genomics.
- Support managing projects and developing grants.
i) Essential qualifications and competencies
- PhD in plant genetics, bio-informatics, or a related field
- 0 to 3 years maximum of post-degree completion experience.
- Strong background in biology, phylogenetics and molecular genetics.
- Knowledge of scripting language (R or python), Bio-conductor.
- Excellent command of English.
- Able to present efficiently results to scientific communities.
ii) Desirable qualifications and competencies
- Experience with command-line bio-informatics tools and working knowledge of cluster environment.
- Knowledge of Arabic or French language.
- This is an internationally recruited position for which ICARDA offers an attractive compensation package including a competitive salary, housing allowance, non-contributory retirement plan, medical insurance, 30 days of annual leave, five months’ maternity leave, 15 days’ paternity leave.
- All benefits are denominated and paid in US Dollars.
- The successful candidate will be offered an initial contract of 2 years, renewable for a maximum of 1 year subject to satisfactory performance.
- The first 6 months will be a probationary period.
IV. How to Apply?
- To apply, please click HERE
- ICARDA is committed to increasing women representation in its workforce and strongly encourages applications from women.
- Applications will be acknowledged, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
IV. About ICARDA
The International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas (ICARDA) is a treaty-based international non-profit research organization supported by CGIAR.ICARDA’s mission is to reduce poverty, enhance food, water, and nutritional security, as well as environmental health in the face of global challenges including climate change. They do this through innovative science, strategic partnerships, linking research to development and capacity development that take into account gender equality and the role of youth in transforming the dry areas. ICARDA works in partnership with governments, universities, civil society, national agricultural research organization, other CGIAR Research Centers, and the private sector. With its temporary Headquarters in Beirut, Lebanon, ICARDA operates in regional and country offices across Africa, Asia, and the Middle East. For more information:
All CGIAR Centers are currently engaged into a reform process (“One CGIAR’”) that will help ICARDA and CGIAR achieve better impact through more strategically integrated research, unified governance, an integrated structure, and new research modalities across participating Research Centers. This transformation is supported by CGIAR donors who have committed to increased funding as a result of these reforms.