Deadline: 15 November 2022
The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TÜBİTAK) and TWAS have established a fellowship programme for foreign scholars from developing countries in the South who wish to pursue postdoctoral research in a field of the natural and related applied sciences in the departments and laboratories of public and private universities of Turkey and TÜBİTAK Research Centers and Institutes.
I. Eligible fields under the programme
- Agricultural Sciences
- Structural, Cell. & Molecular Biology
- Biological Systems & Organisms
- Medical & Health Sciences, including Neurosciences
- Chemical Sciences
- Engineering Sciences
- Astronomy, Space & Earth Science
- Mathematical Sciences
- Computing and Information Technology.
- TWAS will be responsible for providing travel support to Turkey and from Turkey to researchers’ home / living country and will also cover visa related expenses.
- TÜBİTAK will be responsible for a monthly allowance to cover accommodation and living expenses and private health insurance premiums in Turkey at an amount to be specified by TÜBİTAK.
- The study fees, including tuitions, registration and research costs, should be waived or covered by the host institutes.
- The language of instruction is English.
Applicants for these fellowships must meet the following criteria:
- Be permanent residents and nationals of a developing country in the South
- Candidates from Science and Technology Lagging countries (STLC) and women are especially encouraged to apply. NB. Developing countries that are not in the STLC list are also eligible to apply.
- Must not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in Turkey or any developed country;
- Be employed in a developing country (other than the host country) and hold a research assignment there. Applicants must provide a Supporting Statement from the head/director of the applicant's current employer according to the format of TÜBİTAK (see sample that can be downloaded below or from TÜBİTAK’s online application website). The supporting statement is to support the candidate’s application and prove that s/he will be given leave if awarded.
- Hold a PhD degree in natural and related applied sciences (in one of the fields specified above);
- Be a maximum age of 45 years on 31 December of the application year;
- Provide an official Acceptance Letter (see sample that can be downloaded below or from TÜBİTAK’s online application website) from an eligible department, institution or laboratory of a public or private university in Turkey, or TÜBİTAK Research Centers and Institutes.
- NB. Requests for acceptance must be directed to the chosen host institution(s) in Turkey, and NOT to TÜBİTAK. Without preliminary acceptance, the application will not be considered for selection. The acceptance letter must be signed by the highest authority of the chosen host institute. The maximum number of academic advisors in Turkey can be 2 (two).
- Candidates who received their PhD from a university in Turkey are required to receive an acceptance letter from a university other than the one where they received their doctorate degree, and carry out their research with an academic advisor(s) other than their doctoral thesis advisor.
- Provide the Research proposal form prepared in the format determined by TÜBİTAK (see sample that can be downloaded below or from TÜBİTAK’s online application website);
- Provide evidence of proficiency in English. If medium of education was not English: provide evidence in English, e.g. standardized test card (TOEFL or IELTS) or a University-issued letter certifying the knowledge of the language. If medium of education was English, please write a brief statement indicating what type of education was in English, e.g. high school, BSc or MSc degrees, this statement must be signed and dated by the applicant;
- Not take up other assignments during the period of her/his fellowship;
- Be financially responsible for any accompanying family members;
- Not have previously received or been awarded a fellowship under this programme;
- Must return to her/his home country on completion of the fellowship;
V. How to Submit application?
- All applications to the Fellowship must be submitted online only via the TÜBİTAK online application system. To access the online application system of TÜBİTAK please see HERE
- To be able to submit the online application form to TÜBİTAK, the candidate must first create a CV on the platform in the TÜBİTAK Researcher Information System (ARBİS) that is available HERE
- The information of the researchers in the Researcher Information System (ARBIS) to apply for the programme and the academic advisor(s) in Turkey must be up-to-date before applying online.
- Queries concerning the submission of applications via the online portal of TÜBİTAK should be directed to [email protected]
- Candidates may apply for only one programme per calendar year in the TWAS and OWSD portfolio. Applicants will not be eligible to visit another institution in that year under the TWAS Visiting Professor programmes. One exception: The head of an institution who invites an external scholar to share his/her expertise under the TWAS Visiting Professor programmes may still apply for another programme.
VI. Additional Information
- Information on the application, evaluation and implementation of the Fellowship is detailed in the “2216B TUBITAK TWAS_2022 Call for Applications” document that can be downloaded below.
- The Fellowships are tenable at the departments and laboratories of public and private universities in Turkey for a minimum period of 6 months to a maximum period of 36 months.
- To help candidates in their choice of a suitable host institution, a list of public and private universities in Turkey is available HERE (in English: https://www.yok.gov.tr/en )
- In addition, TÜBİTAK Research Centers and Institutes’ names and links are available from the following links :
- TÜBİTAK MAM, https://mam.tubitak.gov.tr/en
- TÜBİTAK BİLGEM, https://bilgem.tubitak.gov.tr/en/frontpage
- TÜBİTAK UZAY, https://uzay.tubitak.gov.tr/en
- TÜBİTAK SAGE, https://www.sage.tubitak.gov.tr/en
- TÜBİTAK RUTE, https://rute.tubitak.gov.tr/en
- TÜBİTAK UME, https://www.ume.tubitak.gov.tr/en
- TÜBİTAK TÜSSİDE, https://tusside.tubitak.gov.tr/en
- TÜBİTAK TBAE, https://tbae.tubitak.gov.tr/en
- TÜBİTAK ULAKBİM, https://ulakbim.tubitak.gov.tr/en
- TÜBİTAK National Observatory, https://tug.tubitak.gov.tr/en
- TÜBİTAK BUTAL, https://butal.tubitak.gov.tr/en CONTACT DETAILS
TWAS Fellowships Office
ICTP campus, Strada Costiera 11
34151 Trieste, Italy
Tel: +39 040 2240 687
E-mail: [email protected]
TÜBİTAK - BİDEB (The Department of Science Fellowships and Grant Programmes)
The Coordinatorship of Research and Fellowship Programmes
2216-B TÜBİTAK-TWAS Postgraduate and Postdoctoral Fellowship Programmes
Tel: +90 0312 444 66 90
E-mail: [email protected]
Host Acceptance Letter_Template 100.79 KB
Research Proposal Form_Template 251.42 KB
Supporting Statement from the Employer_Template 114.83 KB
2216B TUBITAK TWAS_2022 Call for Applications 599.82 KB