Deadline: 31 December 2023
Would you like to work on the development of new tools and approaches to monitor environmental antimicrobial resistance and assess its fate in the 3D lake environment? The Microbial Ecology group of the department “Surface Waters - Research and Management”, located in Kastanienbaum (Lucerne), is seeking candidates for a Postdoctoral researcher in environmental microbiology: New tools for tracking antimicrobial resistance contamination in aquatic environments.
- About the Project
Antimicrobial resistance (AMR) is a global challenge requiring a One Health approach. Would you like to join the Microbial Ecology group at Eawag and join their project team to develop new, sensitive sequencing-based methods for quantitative and qualitative tracking of AMR in the environment? You will then have the opportunity to apply these tools to study the spread of AMR from wastewater contamination in a lake environment, collaborating with our modelers to track the contamination in 3D and to determine the decay or proliferation of wastewater bacteria and resistance determinants in the lake. The work will contribute to the creation of improved models for AMR contamination transport and risk assessment for freshwater lakes.
- Highly motivated and talented person interested in a 2-year Postdoc positon.
- You have obtained a PhD in microbiology, environmental sciences or a similar program.
- You are interested broadly and can imagine yourself working on a topic that spans One Health, molecular methods, microbial communities and aquatic environments.
- You have independent research experience in environmental microbiology or microbial ecology and antimicrobial resistance and you have published your work in international journals.
- You have excellent lab skills and are experienced with molecular methods, in particular next generation sequencing and metagenomics, qPCR and other methods of environmental microbiology.
- You are well-versed in the bioinformatics and statistical skills relevant to the field. You are equally excited about lab- and fieldwork and you enjoy collaborating with an interdisciplinary team of scientists to advance a common goal.
- Fully funded Postdoc position for 2 years with a salary at competitive Swiss rates and research funds.
- Eawag offers an inspiring, collaborative and highly interdisciplinary research environment, state of the art laboratories, infrastructure for fieldwork and excellent working conditions.
- Your main place of work will be at Eawag in Kastanienbaum at the shores of beautiful Lake Lucerne.
- Eawag is a modern employer and offers an excellent working environment where staff can contribute their strengths, experience and ways of thinking. We promote gender equality and are committed to staff diversity and inclusion. The compatibility of career and family is of central importance to us. For more information about Eawag and its work conditions please consult www.eawag.ch and www.eawag.ch/en/aboutus/working/employment.
- Application Process
- To apply for this position with more information, please click HERE
- You will be requested to submit the following documents:
1) Curriculum vitae (CV) detailing your academic qualifications and research
experience, publication records and other relevant achievements
- A cover letter describing your research interests, relevant skills, and how you meet the profile for this position
- Proof of your PhD degree (or equivalent)
- Contact information for three potential referees
- Review of applications will begin on 26 November 2023 and the position will remain open until filled.
- The anticipated starting date for the position is flexible, starting January 2024 or later, by agreement.
- For further information please contact Dr. Helmut Bürgmann