Deadline: 30 June 2023
The World Vegetable Center (WorldVeg) is a non-profit, autonomous international agricultural research center with headquarters in Taiwan and five regional offices around the globe. WorldVeg conducts research and development programs that contribute to realizing the potential of vegetables for healthier lives and more resilient livelihoods.
WorldVeg holds the world’s largest public vegetable germplasm collection and performs breeding programs in different parts of the world with strong connections with the public and private seed sectors. The WorldVeg breeding team develops improved cultivars with tolerance to biotic and abiotic stresses, enhanced shelf life, improved nutrient content, and quality adapted to subtropical and tropical environments. The Center is modernizing its research infrastructure and evolving into an ‘Open Science Center,’ collaborating with advancedresearch institutions, universities, and private seed companies.
As part of this development, WorldVeg is looking for a highly qualified Grants and Research Contracts Manager to represent and support the Center’s vision and mission. The position will be based at WorldVeg’s headquarters in
Shanhua, Tainan, Taiwan. The Grants and Research Contracts Manager will manage the Center's portfolio of grants and other funder agreements and ensure compliance with the Center's policies and procedures and funder requirements.
He/she will work with the Research Management Team (RMT) to identify potential funding opportunities, develop proposals, negotiate agreements, as well as monitor and ensure compliance. The RMT, which leads the Center’s R&D work, is composed of the leaders of each of the Center’s four flagship programs. The RMT Chair is a rotating
position among RMT members. The Grants and Research Contracts Manager will report to the RMT Chair.
II. Key Responsibilities
- Scan and identify relevant funding opportunities.
- Support networking with the Center’s traditional and potential donors and partners.
- Coordinate and support the development and review of project proposals ensuring compliance with donor guidelines, international conventions, and the Center’s policies and full cost recovery model.
- Analyze and document lessons learned from non-funded proposals and develop a plan for improvement.
- Periodically report on restricted fund-raising efforts and successes.
- Coordinate the development of and collection of key performance indicators for the Center.
Donor agreements and sub-grants
- Receive, review, and process agreements and grants from donors and sub-grants that are under these prime agreements.
- Negotiate terms of agreements and provide the necessary supporting documentation and conditions for compliance, including serving as the liaison for funders.
Oversight and fund disbursement
- Serve as the focal point for all agreements, correspondence, and actions with funders and partners.
- Support and liaise with project coordinators on managing and administrating grants in terms of best practices, reporting issues, and clarifications with partners and funders where needed.
- Support oversight on reports, disbursement, and adequate delivery of project outcome deliverables.
- Support and maintain good management practices in the project life cycle and monitor and ensure compliance with R&D procedures and regulations.
- Facilitate quality assurance, safekeeping, and open access of documents, datasets, proposals, and reports, ensuring compliance with the Center’s standard operating procedures and funder guidelines.
- Manage and plan the work of the Grants Coordinator.
- Conduct tasks and duties as Secretary to the RMT.
- Proactively identify and facilitate ways of providing better support for R&D projects.
- Lead the planning and organizing of the yearly Global R&D Week.
Note: WorldVeg reserves the right to revise job profiles at any time based on changes to the required job responsibilities.
- Must have a Master’s degree in Economics, International Development, Law, Business, or a related
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum of 5 years progressive work experience in projects, grants management, and resource mobilization with at least 3 years in a similar role.
- Working knowledge of grants management best practices and ability to adopt industry standards to mitigate risks.
- With strong writing, strategic thinking, and analytical skills.
- Excellent command of the English language; demonstrated ability to communicate and collaborate with a variety of internal clients and external parties in a timely, professional, and succinct manner.
- This is an Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS) position with competitive pay and benefits.
- The initial appointment is for three years, renewable depending on the performance of the incumbent.
V. How To Apply?
- Applicants should submit a letter of application explaining their suitability for and interest in the position along with an updated curriculum vitae, names and addresses (including telephone & e-mail addresses) of three referees, and date of availability to [email protected].
- The submission deadline is 30 June 2023.
- Please mention the position title in the subject line.
The candidate hired will embody WorldVeg’s Core Values:
- Dedication to Innovation and Knowledge Sharing: Supports the conduct of world-class science, respects ethical standards, and is committed to sharing results in a transparent manner.
- Commitment to Impact: Aspires to achieve positive, tangible, and lasting impact contributing to Sustainable Development Goals.
- Commitment To Partnerships: Believes in the value of partnerships to advance research for development.
- Respect for People: Respect the diversity of gender, culture, ethnic origin, religion, age, beliefs, and views.
- Respect for the Environment- Strives to minimize its environmental impact and to introduce greener technology and practices.