Deadline: 21 June 2023
The Global Center on Adaptation (GCA) is seeking an intern to assist the External Affairs team in engaging with governments, international organizations, and other stakeholders on the critical issue of climate adaptation.
The External Affairs team leads on advocating for adaptation action and forming partnerships in the climate adaptation space, using stakeholder engagement activities such as events, and overseas missions. The role would be suitable for a proactive, organized and politically astute individual, with a demonstrated interest in climate policy, international relations, and international development.
The External Affairs Intern will work within the External Affairs team to ensure delivery of high-level events and partnerships, including through relationship management and engagement with governments and international organizations. Responsibilities include:
- Assisting with the preparation and implementation of high-level political summits, events and meetings
- Drafting briefings for overseas missions and external engagements, including for the CEO and the Director of External Affairs
- Attending meetings with GCA stakeholders, including governments, international organizations, and other partners, and producing notes and summaries of those meetings
- Climate and global affairs news monitoring and reporting, with an emphasis on climate adaptation
- Providing horizon-scanning and tracking of significant political and climate events that are relevant to GCA
- Assisting the communications team for the timely delivery of a wide variety of communications products, including blogs, webpage content and social media assets
- Helping manage GCA’s extensive list of stakeholders and contacts, including through the CRM system
- Master’s or Bachelor’s degree in international relations, politics, economics, journalism, relevant sciences or closely related discipline
- Demonstrated commitment or strong interest in international relations, international development, and climate change diplomacy, with an emphasis on adaptation an advantage
- Excellent interpersonal communication; strong research, analytical, writing, and editing skills
- Fluent command of the English language; knowledge of French an advantage; and
- High proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
III. Terms Of Internship
- The internship will be for 6 months (starting date negotiable), based at GCA headquarters in Rotterdam, with some flexibility in hours and location available
- Applicants must have the required work permit to work in the EU
- Public transport travel card for commuting provided by GCA
- Compensation: €500 per month
- Please note, there is no expectation of employment on completion of the internship
- Application deadline: 21st June 2023
IV. How To Apply?
To apply, please click HERE
V. About Global Center on Adaptation (GCA)
The Global Center on Adaptation (GCA) is an international organization that works as a solutions broker to catalyze action and support for adaptation solutions, from the international to the local, in partnership with the public and private sector, to ensure we learn from each other and work together for a climate resilient future. Adapting to impacts of climate change provides a “win-win” for health, livelihoods, food security, water supply, human security and economic growth. The work of the GCA elevates the visibility and political importance of climate adaptation and facilitates solutions, such as smarter investments, new technologies and better planning to become more resilient to climate-related threats. GCA is a rapidly growing organization with offices in Abidjan, Beijing, Dhaka, Groningen, and its global headquarters in Rotterdam.
GCA has an ambitious 2020-2025 business plan with three pillars:
- Programs and Action: Food Security; Using Nature for more resilient infrastructure; Water for Urban Growth and Resilience; Climate Finance; and Youth Leadership
- Research for Impact: Building adaptation knowledge globally through cutting edge products such as the State and Trends in Adaptation Report and the Knowledge Exchange Platform
- Agenda Setting and Advocacy: Formulating policy messages to move the global, regional, and local adaptation agendas forward.
GCA’s work program in Africa is of paramount importance. All the components of GCA’s Business Plan must succeed to support changing the momentum and pace of adaptation in Africa. Guiding GCA’s program in Africa is the Africa-owned and Africa-led Africa Adaptation Acceleration Program (AAAP), co-created with the African Development Bank Group to implement the vision of the Africa Adaptation Initiative to support African countries on key adaptation initiatives.
The AAAP is mobilizing $25 billion for climate adaptation investments over five years, helping African countries prioritize climate adaptation in their policies, programs, and institutions. The program focuses on delivering high adaptation dividends and accelerating momentum through large-scale investments, innovations, knowledge, and technical assistance initiatives. The AAAP has already influenced over $5.2 billion of investments, mainstreaming adaptation to achieve the objectives of programs including those focused on food security, climate-resilient water services, and jobs in Africa. Endorsed by the international community as a vehicle to deliver on pledges and meet the urgent need to scale up adaptation, the AAAP model provides a tested platform that combines knowledge, programs, and advocacy to support country and regional priorities around the world.