Deadline: 01 March 2023.
The Illinois Natural History Survey (a division of the Prairie Research Institute of the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign) is seeking a two Graduate Research Assistants to conduct research in aquatic ecology, invasion biology, or recreational fisheries management. Specifically, they seek an MS RA for a project on the behavioral ecology of the invasive Black Carp, including an experimental assessment of the flow preferences and predatory impacts of juvenile Black Carp. Secondly, They are seeking an MS or Ph.D. RA to conduct research on habitat enhancement of urban recreational fisheries.
Students will be advised by Dr. Joe Parkos, a research scientist at the Illinois Natural History Survey. The research activities of the Parkos lab are conducted from an integrated network of three INHS field stations: the Kaskaskia, Ridge Lake, and Sam Parr Biological Stations. Field station facilities include outdoor ponds, mesocosms, microscope labs, wet labs, bunkhouses, and workshops. Further details about the Parkos lab and the field stations can be found HERE
- Must apply for admission and be accepted into the Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Sciences .
- Must have bachelors in in Biology, Ecology, Fisheries Science, or related field.
- Must have some field and laboratory experience in aquatic or fisheries ecology and experience or interests in working with stakeholders and professional natural resource agencies.
- Hold a valid driver's license
- University of Illinois faculty, staff and students are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are not able to receive the vaccine for medical or religious reasons, you may seek approval for an exemption in accordance with applicable University processes.
- This position includes a 50% research assistantship with a tuition waiver through the Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Sciences (NRES) beginning Summer or Fall 2023. Student must be enrolled to receive tuition waiver, stipend, and health insurance.
- Monthly salary is dependent on degree level and starts around $2,219.50.
III. How To Apply?
- For full consideration please email a single PDF including 1) a cover letter which includes your interests regarding this position and how you meet the required qualifications, 2) a CV/resume with employment history, including dates of employment, and 3) names and contact information for three professional references, 4) unofficial transcripts to Dr. Joseph Parkos at [email protected]. (Reference “Graduate Application” in the subject line of the email and include your last name in all attached files).
- Application deadline is March 1, 2023. Applicant review will begin January 1, 2023. All admission decision must be approved by the NRES Director of Graduate Studies.
- For questions, please contact Dr. Joseph Parkos, Illinois Natural History Survey by email at [email protected]
- For more information, please read the official call HERE
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit the university website.